The Yellingbo NCR to Kurth Kiln "Missing Link" Biolink project
What is the Yellingbo NCR to Kurth Kiln “Missing Link” biolink project?
The Yellingbo NCR to Kurth Kiln “Missing Link” biolink project will create and improve biolinks between the Yellingbo Nature Conservation Reserve to Kurth Kiln Regional Park. It aims to protect, improve and provide increased habitat for Victoria’s bird emblem, the Helmeted Honeyeater. The project will support landowners to exclude stock from remnant and revegetated bush areas with fencing. It will support landowners with funding to carry out pest plant and animal control – and it will provide funding to landowners to revegetate sites i) within remnant habitat ii) around remnant habitat and/or iii) to link habitat areas.
Who provided the funding for the YNCR to Kurth Kiln “Missing Link” Biolink project?
Funding for the Yellingbo Nature Conservation Reserve to Kurth Kiln “Missing Link” Biolinks project has generously been provided by the Judith Eardley Save Wildlife Association (JESW). To support JESW help raise funds for wildlife and the project you can visit the JESW second hand goods store at 193 Maroondah Highway Healesville, or make a donation to JESW at www.wildlifepledge.org.au
What activities are eligible for funding support?
Activities that are eligible for “Missing Link” Biolink funding support are:
- fencing around existing habitat to exclude stock
- pest plant and/or animal management and/or infill revegetation
- revegetation around and/or between remnant habitat sites
To be eligible for funding:
- a property must be located in the priority area between YNCR and Kurth Kiln Regional Park (see map here)
- landowners are required to complete and sign a 5 year land management agreement
- landowners are to retain and maintain stock exclusion fencing and remnant habitat for 5 years
- landowners can create a covenant on some or all of their property so that it is protected in perpetuity for the purpose of wildlife conservation
Other funding may be available to land owners who will:
Sell some or all of their property to protect native wildlife habitat through a straight sale to a recognised agency or an environmental non government organisation.
For more information contact the Yarra4Life Coordinator on 03 8781 7943.